20.10.08

NUMBERS

I found this book today while hanging with Lo waiting for her cellphone to charge from the plug on a corner of the whatever section at Borders... it pretty much blew me away & I'm pretty convinced of picking it up from the shelf and bringing it home. I wrote down some quotes from it, just to prove my point;

For "is" and "is-not" tough with rule and line
and "up-and-down" by logic I define,
of all that one should care to fathom, I
was never deep in anything but---wine.
ah, but my computations, people say,
reduced the year to better reckoning?---'Nay,
'Twas only striking from the calendar
Unborn to-morrow and dead yesterday.












God created the integers, the rest is the work of man.












It is told that those who first brought out the irrationals from concealment into the open perished in shipwreck, to a man. For the unutterable and the formless must needs be concealed. And those who uncovered and touched this image of life were instantly destroyed and shall remain forever exposed to the play of the eternal waves.












What in the Cosmos thou seest is but the reflection of God.












What is beautiful and definite and the object of knowledge is by nature prior to the indefinite and the incomprehensible and the ugly.

No comments: